Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

05 Grand Cherokee with 5.7.L. The transmission has been

Customer Question

05 Grand Cherokee with 5.7.L. The transmission has been rebuilt 2x by the dealer in Reno. Last time about 30,000 miles. Transmission started slipping when starting from a stop. Engine will rev up to 2500 rpm, and it still shudders for no apparent reason at highway speeds. Is this a torque converter problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

If the transmission torque converter was not replaced there is a good chance this is causing this issue here.I have seen torque converter slip cause shudders like this as well as slipping or lagging with engagement or shifting.

If your model has a transmission cooler if the transmission cooler was not either flushed free of debris or replaced this allows any debris to work free from in the cooler making its way into the new or rebuilt transmission which can also cause this type of fault here.

Both of these will need to be checked into to locate which is the cause here and then repaired from there.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The torque converter was replaced. Also, the transmission worked more normally after the car sat for a couple of hours and had a chance to cool off.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if this is the case here it sounds like this is an internal fault with the transmission valve body itself or a fault within one of the clutches or bands with the transmission as I have seen all of these cause this issue needing replaced.It may be that the place rebuilding it may not be rebuilding it properly as components continue to fail or it isn't being rebuilt completely.This can be common.

Thanks Pete