Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

My 2005 Jetta w 139000 miles, auto trans is 'jerky' when it

Customer Question

My 2005 Jetta w 139000 miles, auto trans is 'jerky' when it shifts gears. I'm told I shouldn't change out the gasket & filter as other problems may occur but don't know what else to do. Any recommendations?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

Yes I think it would be a good idea to change the transmission fluid and the filter on the inside of the transmission. The filter tend to become clogged from a sticky substance that the fluid forms and all the iron filings. This then leads to a lower oil pressure that causes the hard shifting of the gears.

To do this is not very complicated to do and one do not need very special tools either. There is a site on the net that has photos on how to do this.

www.blauparts.com/vw.oils/vw_atf_fluid/vw_automatic_transmission-fluid.html

They give a really well laid out description and photos

i hope you find this information helpful should you need more please do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should this change out take me? I spoke with a local reputable Euorpean Auto repair shop yesterday & they told me that this would most likely not have any positive impact since the rough shifting has already begun but they could do some valve (?) body replacement for ~$2k that "should" fix the issue with no guarantee or they could replace the transmission for $4k --the car's not worth that & I don't want to sink even $2k into it- especially for only a "possible" "non-guaranteed" fix. What do you think I should do? I need to act quickly. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I ascertain which specific automatic transmission I have?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The transmission number & id is inside the the spare wheel holder in the boot. I am sure you should find someone else with a better price than that. The job will not take you more than 2-3 hours, I cannot understand why they charge you so much as the time they will take will be less than what I estimate you should take to do the job. They have all the proper air/electrical tools.

Greetings,

Martin.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

I found this video of a oil change only and it should give you a idea of what we are talking about

https://youtu.be/6TOoa7KD5M4

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't I get the transmission type they the VIN? I don't have the car with me & wanted to order this kit.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

No your vin number cannot id the transmission as some cars will have different types of transmissions.

Sorry.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inside what 'boot' in the 'spare wheel holder' tire area?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The trunk as you guys call it, where the spare tire sit on the side there is a sticker with the number and description

greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've looked everywhere at/below /beside /under the spare tire & throuought the trunk but do not see anything remotely resembling any sticker with any information on it ????
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The sticker might be removed as it should be there. The drivers hand book will show you what the sticker looks like and where it should be, check in the technical data book.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have in my owner's manual a sticker that was never placed into the car that states, among other lines, "Eng. code/Trans. Code NTP HRM" so does the HRM indicate the Trans type? Also, beneath the VIN & the NIV is a line that says "Type. 1K27N3" ---does this relate to the Trans type?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is what we are looking for. If you give them that information they will know what transmission it is.

NTP HRM 1K27N3 is the transmission code.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took a number of iterations & the specific info needed wasn't actually located where it was supposed to be but was able to locate it when I spent more time looking through the manual, located the info tucked into a side pocket.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. If there more I can assist you with just let me know.

Greetings,

Martin.