Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have a 1996 subaru legacy outback. i just changed the

Customer Question

hi george, i have a 1996 subaru legacy outback. i just changed the clutch and had the brakes done. there may have been issues caused by the old parking brake so i just took it off. it seems like my differentials are locking up. something in the drivetrain occasionally causes stiffness when accelerating from a stop and sometimes more into reverse.
any ideas?
i haven't seen the problems as much with reverse since i took off the parking brake. that seemed to be making a scraping sound.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, i may have received some damage to the step of the transmission case, if that is what you call it.it, being aluminum, tends to grind down hard under stress, as i have been led to believe.so, i am getting some rough shift at the point where the clutch grabs, specifically if i am threatening to stall by under-gassing.i did purchase a third-party part, a steel collar that attaches to the outside of the case to take the stress and wear. given that labor is another chunk of $$$, i am not too happy about it. if i shift and gas carefully it is smooth enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i meant "stem" of the transmission case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my basic question is whether I should consider getting into swapping parts in the differential?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

With noise and issues in the transmission or differential here this does sound like an internal mechanical fault needing inspected and repaired which may require removal of it for full inspection to locate and repair any components at fault here.The decision is up to you if you want to spend the time and money looking into this issue here for repair.

Thanks Pete