Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

1996 Rialta .... Eurovan. It has a 2.5 L 5cyl engine and a

Customer Question

1996 Rialta .... Eurovan. It has a 2.5 L 5cyl engine and a 098 transmission. The TCM burnt out along with the Shift Solenoid located in the shift linkage. Anyway, It took me two years to find a TCM and I am having trouble remembering how the TCM wiring harness is routed on the engine and well as where and what all the plugs plug into. Any help is appreciated.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

Below is the info I do have on the pin outs for the transmission control module on this transmission here.If you need more info on this let me know.

1 - Ground (GND) (terminal 31) 2 - Solenoid Valve 4 -N91- 3 - Solenoid Valve 3 -N90- 4 - not assigned 5 - Park/Neutral Position (PNP) signal 6 - K-wire for diagnosis 7 - not assigned 8 - Kickdown for air conditioner 9 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor -G69- signal 10 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor -G69- + 5 Volt 11 - not assigned 12 - Transmission Range (TR) Selector Lever -Y5- display 13 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) -G68- screening 14 - not assigned 15 - Multi-Function Transmission Range (TR) Switch -F125- 16 - Multi-Function Transmission Range (TR) Switch -F125- 17 - Kick Down Switch -F8- 18 - Supply voltage for solenoid valves 19 - Supply voltage (terminal 15) 20 - Shift Lock Solenoid -N110- 21 - Solenoid Valve 7 -N94- 22 - Solenoid Valve 1 -N88- 23 - Solenoid Valve 2 -N89- 24 - Solenoid Valve 5 -N92- 25 - Solenoid Valve 6 -N93- 26 - Brake Light Switch -F- signal voltage 27 - Gasoline engine = TD-(RPM) signal Diesel engine = Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor -G28- 28 - Gasoline engine = Ignition timing influence Diesel engine = Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor -G28- 29 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor -G69- Ground (GND) 30 - Transmission Fluid (ATF) Temperature Sensor -G93- 31 - Selector Lever Display -Y5- 32 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) -G68- 33 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) -G68- 34 - Multi-Function Transmission Range (TR) Switch -F125- 35 - Multi-Function Transmission Range (TR) Switch -F125- 36 - Transmission Range (TR) Program Switch -E122- or electronic shift program 37 - Idling switch 38 - Cruise control system

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete. I have a service manual. I am looking more for over the river through the woods type of explanation. Like behind starter over the air cleaner through the clamp here. Some one who actually works on VW's and can put one together with eyes closed.
K
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,unfortunately I do not have this info you need here.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, most VW techs didn't want to work on Eurovans at all. Lucky for me, my wife wanted a Eurovan so I got a 93, same engine as yours, and have since had 5 and still own one.

Is the whole harness removed from the engine, or just portions of it? I have done the heads before, and you have to take a good amount of the harness off for that.

I don't think there is anyone who can do it with their eyes closed, but it just takes some time. The harness has TWO main sections, and they come from opposite sides of the engine- and for some ungodly reason, they then cross over to the opposite side, by routing through the curl of the intake manifold. One you get it into place, most of the connectors match up reasonably well, due to the harness lengths being just enough for the connector to reach with just a little slack, and each sensor or connection having a different shape or size, or slight differences like small tabs out the sides of the connector that match up with the plug. So it is nearly impossible to plug the wrong connector on anywhere.

The section of wiring that comes up from next to the dipstick is a common problem area, as it goes behind the starter, and takes a sharp bend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree with you assessment that is why I need correct routing. I am guessing that the first four pin plug goes into the throttle position sensor. at the end of the harness the last three plugs are fairly self evident. Next I will call plug 2 it has brown wire and a blue and white wire the plug is green. Having trouble finding where it goes. Plug 3 is black and has red and green wire and a lavender and black wire. I found a plug with matching wire colors. I guess that is where it is going to go. Where do they have the foil heat protector go? Thanks for your help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i can assist but I would need some pics of the area you are working on with the wiring connectors so i have a view of what you have so we can come to a finalization of this.

thanks

Wolfgang