ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

I have a 1995 Honda passport. The trans shifts and drives

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Honda passport. The trans shifts and drives fine. About a month ago I noticed it started leaking trans fluid under the car after sitting for 3 days. It continued to leak for a couple of days while the car wasn't being driven and then stopped leaking. I drove it for 2 weeks everyday after that and the trans work fine. I had the fluid replaced and it started leaking again. My mechanic who doesn't work on trans said it is leaking from top right side of trans. Any suggestions?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
Is this an automatic or manual transmission
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
automatic
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, the 2 most common causes of a leak in that area is from either the dipstick tube or the vent tube.
He needs to check for any fluid around where the dipstick tube goes into the transmission and if found, replace the o-ring for it.
If ok, then check the vent tube for fluid. If found, this is an indication of a fluid pump or restriction in the flow of the transmission fluid which forces fluid out the vent tube. This would require dropping the transmission and opening up to find the underlying cause
If ok, then it would be from a leak between front and mid section of the transmission case and would require being dropped and resealed. This is rare to have happen though