Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 3.0 There is a delay in the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 3.0 There is a delay in the engagement when you shift from Park/Neutral to Drive. It has the standard engagement "clunk" then there is a more significant second "clunk" right after that. It ONLY happens when the car is
hot. Driving for 20 minutes the it happens lightly... can feel the second clunk lightly. For 45 minutes (engine and tranny hot) shifting into gear there is the standard "clunk" then shortly after a second loud "clunk" Again it ONLY happens when the engine
is warm and it is more intense the hotter the engine is. It does not do it when the engine is cold or in the first 15 minutes of driving. Shop looked at the front joints and they appear be tight without any play.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd do a check for worn mountings -check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber. Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

I'd also

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok -then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside-- refill and retry it..

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hi

do you still need help?