Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

P0741 obd code 1999 ford ranger. The transmission is rebuilt

Customer Question

P0741 obd code 1999 ford ranger. The transmission is rebuilt by a not so local shop and they tell me I need to check the TCC solenoid so they can send me the parts to fix my issues. Issue is when cold OD works, after it warms up and gets going the OD light flashes and no OD
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

please explain,,are you wondering if the tcc solenoid will fix your problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the reman company thinks that the issue but wants me to read the solenoid out to see if thats the issue. I cant find anything that has the resistance range. The resistance is 11.5 according to the schematic I found online but not sure if it is correct or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pins I have are 1 and 5 which are the upper and second row left. Neither are shorted to ground

ok,,this code is for the oss sensor..[output speed sensor,,does the speedometer work well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the code is P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off. Shift ok, the all of a sudden OD shift down and light starts flashing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was asked to test the TCC solenoid by the reman company. Im not sure what their plan is but if the solenoid reads bad they will replace it, if it reads good not sure what they plan on doing.

the first thing you need to do here,is to check the wiring harness to the transmission,,make sure it wasnt damaged during the removal and replacement of the transmission

be sure to check the wiring to the oss also

if the wiring is good,,replace the oss..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked well for about 6 months. I did find the little clip has come off, the connect was NOT tight. My thoughts are this is possibly the issue.

if the problem still happens,then yes,a new solenoid block may fix your problem..i dont think it is an internal problem with the transmission

stand by

i am uploading you kore test/checks and locations

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

ok

sorry for the delay,,it took a while

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont see any files

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8rs6njjvcyefsp/0822-ford-ranger-0822-express-Parts%20Information.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/c8rs6njjvcyefsp/0822-ford-ranger-0822-express-Parts%20Information.doc?dl=0

.

again,,sorry for the delay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link worked but that is the wrong code. The code I am TS is P0741 not the ones listed on the PDF you sent.

yes..

p0741,= TJ 3

your testing for this code begins at tj3

i think your problem is the wiring harness or the connecting plugs from the harness to the transmission/sensors

if all checks out,have the rebuilder to send the complete solenoid block for your 5r55

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The codes I am testing for on the sheet you sent me are not the Codes I have. I have code is p0741. the codes this test for is p0720, p0721, p0722, p0723 and P1900. The transmission I have in my 1999 Ford Ranger is a 4R55E.

ok

it is right,,stand by,,i wanto send you something else

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bokl7mutua1k4wj/0822-ranger-Doc2.doc?dl=0

understand,the testing for code p0741 begins on tj3

i understand these charts are confusing.but it is the only charts we have for this one

again,i think your problem is the wire harness to the transmission..if not,replace the solenoid block

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I have to tell you I do not believe that a chart to test the OSS has a freaking thing to do with the TCC. No where does it state to replace the TCC, no where does it state to replace the solenoid block, all it talks about is the OSS which is working perfectly. There is a chart which the same TS guide for the TCC

i didnt sy that,,i said to check the wire harness to the transmission and the speed sensor..the common cause is the wire harness itself

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n86qm28bbqqlkv/0822-5r55-Special%20Tools.doc?dl=0

.

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/9n86qm28bbqqlkv/0822-5r55-Special%20Tools.doc?dl=0

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** frustrated because they want just send me a new tranny. Of course I don't have the tool but the truck fails the 50 mph test, let of the gas rpms just drop. All cables are in good shape, oss reads properly, all solenoid are within standards. If you place the truck in 2nd and let of the gas the rooms just drop and to accelerate the rooms have to cover up from issue until it catches up. It also seems to be skipping under load or going to hills. Any idea?

if i were you,,check all the wiring,,if the wiring is fine,,let them send a new transmission

thanks