Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

2002 Chevy S10 automatic transmission has a intermittent

Customer Question

2002 Chevy S10 automatic transmission has a intermittent whine that seems to show up mostly on hot days. It almost feels like the clutch is slipping. If I hit the gas hard and accelerate fast some times it will help. I also have had the transmission slip into what seems like neutral a few times when going down long hills. The engine races and I shift into neutral and back into drive and it goes back to running properly.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the pump in your transmission is cavitating. I would recommend removing the pan and checking the filter to make sure it is secure and not clogged. If a new filter and fluid don't fix it or if a large amount of debris is found in the transmission pan, then a transmission overhaul will most likely be needed.