sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Can't figure out if my 1999 Chrysler lhs transmission serial

Customer Question

Can't figure out if my 1999 Chrysler lhs transmission serial number is(###) ###-####or(###) ###-#### ***** date is 4-98,3.5l engine
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. If you give me your vin I can see if the transmission number is ***** the vehicle data sheet. Thanks ! Lou

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2C3HC56G9XH216502
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks , I will check and see what I can find. Can I ask why you are needing the serial number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to find a used transmission to replace the old one.the serial number tag on the old one is not there ,don't want headache of putting in the wrong one and all the extra charges with it
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Perfect thanks , I will check back soon !

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Well go figure , Chrysler is not like other brands they don't log the number into the build sheet. All I can tell you is the transmission is labeled a DGX 4speed. Both parts guy, and service manager tried looking into the build sheet.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out maybe another expert can assist. Good luck !

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
Unfortunately even with the VIN the catalog still shows two possible part numbers for the replacement transmission. Some current production vehicles are still this way unfortunately, and there isn't a way to know what the differences are between the two. The identification tag is the only way to know the production number of what went into the car originally.
On the left side of the transmission case just above where the pan mounts is there a part number etched into the aluminum?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,it was on a paper tag and the that tag is gone
You specifically looked for the etched part number (not the ID tag) today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at that thing every where I could from top to bottom and could find nothing
Can you upload a picture of the left side of the trans, specifically the area above the pan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the left?
that's the left. Can you take another one of the same side from that point forward, showing the rest of the left side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Does your range sensor connector have round pins or square?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where's that at?
It's the rectangular connector on the left side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have the transmission right I front of me right now but I think they're square.explain the difference as to what serial number belongs to which one
There is no documentation in the field as to what the differences are between production numbers. I'm trying to determine what the difference is and I believe it may be the running change in the range sensor.