Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Auto Mechanic
Experience:  35+ years experience transmission repair
2617050

Tv cable seems stretched. Can not adjust. Trouble shifting

Customer Question

Tv cable seems stretched. Can not adjust. Trouble shifting out of 1 some days especially when cold. Also doesn't shift down well on hill. Bogs then shifts down twice.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

are there any codes being set in the computer ?

has anything been done yet to correct this issue ?

when you pull on the TV cable do you feel it spring back when you let go of it kind of like the other end of the cable is connected to a spring so to say ?

the speedometer works fine all the time ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary. I just lost a long reply. I will try again.
Mechanic says no codes. Speedometer works fine. TV cable adjuster all the way back towards trans. Videos show pushing adjustment button,pushing cable towards trans,then pushing throttle to adjust. Cable doesn't move at button. Remove cable at throttle and still roughly lines up with pin. Pul and springs back. Reattach and a little slack in cable.More information. Bought last year to replace a 94 4 liter. Current until is 95'5.2 liter grand Cherokee limited with full time*****and factoriy tow package. Had 90 k miles. A couple thousand later trans went out. Leak in trans cooler line in radiator and got antifreeze in trans. Rebuilt trans and torque converter.
Trouble with cold shifting out of 1. Down shifting on hills. And sometimes torque converter will not lock. Dave
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Different expert here,
Did you still need some advice on this matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no help so far.

did you ever replace the TV cable or just adjust it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't know yet if the cable was replaced when the transmission was rebuilt. Is there a way of adjusting the fit at the transmission end of the cable? I see that replacement cables are available from the parts stores. do you just slide them in the cable sheath? how do you connect them at the transmission?

Below are the instructions.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/tvcable.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess you don't want to bother to reading my comments.