Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Ford ranger 3.0 1998 auto trans I am replacing the

Customer Question

ford ranger 3.0 1998 auto trans I am replacing the transmission filter one I got from advanced auto looks different they say it is a direct replacement but the old one has a 1.5inch tube sticking down ? pick up tube the new one does not have is it ok to
use this one or do I need a different filter more like the one I have?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

There is a 4wd and 2wd oil filter.

2wd F5TZ-7A098-A

4wd F5TZ-7A098-B

Those are Ford part numbers, and yes you do need the correct filter.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 4x4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which line is coming out of the trans cooler ? I am going to drain it by adding fluid there

Ford does not say because there is no task we have to do on this vehicle, where as needing know which line is in and out. If you plan to run the engine and let the trans pump the oil out, you can remove either line to do so, instead of removing the pan to drain the oil.