Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

I have a 2005 Xterra I bought new 12-31-05. At 14,000 miles

Customer Question

Hi Roy, I have a 2005 Xterra I bought new 12-31-05. At 14,000 miles the transmission blew. In 2011, the check engine light & 4wd light came on and then loss of power. I took it into Nissan and they could find nothing wrong. Now I have the same thing happenning whenever I go up to Big Bear it happens about 3000 feet. I have taken it to a private mechanic and 2 nissan dealerships who cant find anything and say it is not the transmission recall issue What's wrong
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as I have been researching, it seems like the car goes into a safe mode, the rpm's won't go over 3000 to protect further damage. Perhaps the transmission fluid is overheating? There is a slight burning smell, but the radiator is not overheating. The dealership service dept is saying the computer doesn't store a fail safe code
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd agree that this sounds like the fluid is overheating and this will prevent the rpm from climbing as it should

as a fix either try switching to a full synthetic ATF fluid such as

http://www.fuchslubricants.com/titan-atf-5000-sl

or fit an transmisson oil cooler - but this is bit more involved as the there's no tapped holes on the unit to easily plumb to so the case would need modification to break into the oil pump flow path

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Matt, went to fourth mechanic and transmission shop in Big Bear while it was acting up.i wrote the codes in my q before but it cut it off, code u1000 and a P187 (ground short 4wd). They checked all the connections and found loose wires between TCM and other areas under front dash Test drove it several times, said it was fixed, but I drove back up the mountain yesterday and same problem. They pooh pooh the oil transmission cooler as a fix for the problem
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd still say try the synthetic fluid as the next step