sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 97 grand cherokee laredo. 4x4 4.0l Its quit

Customer Question

Im Brad, I have a 97 grand cherokee laredo. 4x4 4.0l Its quit shifting, intermittingly it will shift normally. it has gererated a 753 code. Ive replaced solenoids. No change
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello ad welcome to JustAnswer!
P0753 is for the overdrive clutch solenoid circuit. The solenoid receives power from the trans relay, the powertrain control module applies ground to actuate it. The issue can be the solenoid, lack of power from the relay, the powertrain control module or the control wire from the PCM to the solenoid.
The most likely cause would be the solenoid itself followed by wiring. The 8 way connector at the trans is a common place to find wiring damage.
You replaced the double solenoid pack mounted to the right side of the valve body above the governor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced trans lockup and overdrive solenoid, a governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor all in the same wiring harness. Gets confusing, everyone calls them different names. Are you asking about the one with the harness through the case? Yes
The solenoid pack is the double solenoid with the harness.
Was there any damage to the 8 way connector wiring insulation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inspected everything I could see, cleaned connections as perfectly as possible, and replaced the trans relay. Problem appears resolved and check engine lite is off. Your words describing that circuit caused me to examine it more closely. Thank you, Brad
Great, I'm glad to hear it!