Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

I have transmission fuel leaking from the front of the

Customer Question

I have transmission fuel leaking from the front of the transmission. It seems to sometime have trouble engaging in gear.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

if the transmisson is leaking gear oil then its quite likely to be low on oil and this will then produce gear selection issues as you describe

as the oil is also used as the hydraulic medium and so low levels will result in low oiil pressure and a lack of funciton

so the next step is to check the oil level to see where its sitting with a warm transmisson

and if its low then the oil leak needs repairing as the next step

and this may need a new front lip seal which means the transmisson will have to come out to access this