Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

My 2005 Silverado 2500 hd, 6.6 duramax has a problem, it

Customer Question

my 2005 Silverado 2500 hd , 6.6 duramax has a problem, it skips at low rpm when shifting into high gear the skip goes away at 2000 rpm , I have to drive over 65 mph to get a smooth ride. there are no trouble codes and no other problems , 215000 miles and it runs really good , except for this problem
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution. I also do not work in an office awaiting your reply. I run a small business and will do my best to answer quickly. Depending on the day and time there may be a delay in getting back to you.Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same.

Does your fuel mileage seem to have changed? Any black smoke when skipping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no smoke when skipping and the mileage has lessoned a small amount. I am retired from being an auto mechanic, I was an a s e master for many years hd truck and auto. Also f y I , I have cleaned and regreased the connectors on the engine harnesses that are acessable, in my mind I think it is the wiring because of the skip at low rpm that goes away over 2k. I don't mind paying for a definite and correct problem that I can correct.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

DO you have a scanner? Also just an FYI I just fixed one of these with a shorted EGR valve with similar symptoms. Can you unplug the EGR and drive it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a scanner, I sold it when I retired and I don't think it was up to date for the duramax Is the e g r easy to get to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to waste your time, by your name it reads transmission mechanic, I wanted a duramax specialist
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I do not know why it would say transmission expert. They won't let me answer transmission questions. The egr valve is on the right side just forward of the air intake tube