sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

1995 dodge 3500 automatic dosnot now what to do 3 or

Customer Question

1995 dodge 3500 automatic dosnot now what to do 3 or overdrive rpm 150 at 70 75
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
I'm assuming you're feeling the trans up and downshift on it's own while driving. There are a handful of things that will cause this, monitoring scan tool data may be necessary to diagnose it.
It could be the overdrive clutch solenoid or an actual overdrive clutch issue, but this should give more of a slip rather than a firm up and downshift.
If it's actually commanding a downshift it's most likely a throttle position sensor related issue. The sensor itself could be the issue or misadjusted/sticking throttle linkage could be causing the TPS signal to be too high. The TPS voltage should be looked at with a scan tool or voltmeter to see if it's abnormally high with the engine off, throttle open and closed. If voltage is too high then you either have a linkage, sensor or adjustment issue. If it's actually requesting 4-3 downshift I would first look at the TPS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I just go buy a new TpS and put it on see if it does it
You can try it but I couldn't guarantee that will change anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I change the TPS it seems to work fine but you don't know you know I guess I driving a few more miles and find out for sure
Great!