AMEDEE
AMEDEE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE TECH WITH ADVANCED LEVEL CERTIFICATION/L1 CERTIFICATION
279429

I have a 2003 dodge caravan 3.6L V6 engine with automagic

Customer Question

I have a 2003 dodge caravan 3.6L V6 engine with automagic tranny. Van has been driving fine even with 212,000 miles. Then today out of nowhere when I was going home and started up a hill the van just stopped moving. It slides with the shifter without any problem to R, D, N, 3, L, and P. But it doesn't feel like it is connecting to any gear when I move the shifter into any of these positions. When it stopped on the hill and was in drive it just rolled backwards. When I shifted into any position it kept sliding backwards but when I put it into park it stayed stopped. When in any position and I give it gas, the engine revs up but the speedometer won't move either. The fluid was perfect color pink with the right amount of fluid in the tranny as well. So does it sound like the whole tranny is gone or possibly something else.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, there were absolutely no warning signs. I've had trannys go before and they made clunking noises or whining. This van made no clunk, bang, or any whining noises. Also, the check engine light didn't come on to indicate there was any underlying problem either. This car has been one owner since it was driven off the lot brand new and has always been meticulously maintained. It has a new brain in it which is only a few years old as well. But there were no indications that anything was going wrong with it. It just stopped moving. It starts up fine, idles in park fine, revs up fine.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Thank you for requesting me! YES, unfortunately is does sound like the problem is inside the transmission and it will either need to be replaced or rebuild. Just be sure that the linkage going into the transmission is connected properly and and the axle shafts are not broke. I hope this helps!!

Amedee