Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Honda Accord EX Auto: ***** ***** accord transmission cable

Customer Question

1990 honda accord transmission cable adjustment issue.
I have been having problems with my auto trans trying to shift too soon from second into third gear and then going into 4th gear too soon
The car is well maintained and has 160,000 miles on it. The idle and timing has been set correctly and the throttle cable has been adjusted correctly with the correct amount of play in reference to the transmission throttle position sensor.
The TCU is a brand new reconditioned unit and is getting no codes with the jumper attached. ECU is showing no codes.
Have had the transmission flushed with BG unitand refilled with Honda spec trans fluid.
Lock up celloniod and shift celloniod have been replaced with known good tested units.
I was just about at the point of swapping out the transmission with a known good junkyard unit when I noticed something.
On the shifter lever, on this model, there is a hash mark on the left side of it. Therr are also corresponding hash marks at the "D" and "N" and reverse positions on the shifter console.
Just today I noticed that the hash mark on the shiftt lever was not alligned with the hash mark on the console. It is about a 1/8th of an inch back or behind where I now realize where it may supposd to be when engaged in "D"
So, on a whim, I decided to try to nudge the shift lever up to match the hash marks together while I am driving.
And guess what??!?!? It seemsas if myproblem with the trans has gone away.
I havent really taken it out on the highway or gotten it heated up but I think I am on to something here.
One other thing that I thought that I had already done is properly adjust the shift lever cable. But apparently this might be the cause of all my problem
Or the shifter cable may be stretched or defective and not putting the shifter lever in the correct position for the trans to shift at the correct points.
I am a machanic and am tired of guessing on this. If you are a generic mechanic and do not have specific experience with 4th generation (90-93) automatic Accords then please do not respond to this with guesses or theories.
I will pay the fee to work with a certified honda mechanic and nobody else
Thanks
Mac
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I see no one has responded with help here and I want to see if you still need help with your question.Let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would still like to talk to you about this. I fear that I'm going to have to get a new transmission but I want to make absolutely sure that everything externally has been checked and double checked before I swap it out.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Below is the proper adjustment method for the shift cable on your model here.If it shifts properly with the cable adjusted properly or when held in the has marks most likely either the cable needs adjusted properly or the cable is damaged internally (as it can rust or corrode internally and cause issues like this here) and needs replaced.You will have to copy the links below and paste them to a new web tab to view them.If the cable is o.k. and you do get it adjusted properly and still have this issue I suspect an internal mechanical fault in the transmission needing removed,inspected and repaired or replaced.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hv0v8wzs40pthdv/sh-07-31.gif?dl=0
1. Start the engine. Shift to reverse to see if the reverse gear engages. If not, refer to Troubleshooting.
2. With the engine off, remove the console.
3. Shift to [N] position, then remove the lock pin from the cable adjuster.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtsusewvpk1qayh/shi-07-31.gif?dl=0
4. Check that the hole in the adjuster is perfectly aligned with the hole in the shift cable.
NOTE: There are two holes in the end of the shift cable. They are positioned 900 apart to allow cable adjustments in 1/4 turn increments.
5. If not perfectly aligned, loosen the locknut on shift cable and adjust as required.
6. Tighten the locknut.
7. Install the lock pin on the adjuster.
NOTE: If you feel the lock pin binding as you reinstall it, the cable is still out of adjustment and must be readjusted.
8. Start the engine and check the shift lever in all gears. If any gear does not work properly, refer to troubleshooting.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will try this thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.Let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete