Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Volkswagen Golf GL TDI: 2002 vw golf tdi gl auto tranny w/

Customer Question

2002 vw golf tdi gl auto tranny w/ 123k miles.
I'm experiencing a weird push-pull sensation while driving on cruise control. Started about a month or two ago. No warning dash lights are on, and cruise is still holding to speed accurately. But feels like the car's accel/deccel functioning is not optimized. Also, you can also see the rpms subtly ebbing and flowing while cruise is engaged. I've only felt it around 45-60mph.
What could be causing this? Could this be a transmission problem? I know these ALH trannys are notorious for failures. Or is there maybe a tuning that can be performed?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd say that its well worth checking the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park. You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use.. If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hi
do you still need help?