Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L! Advanced Level with over 20 years of experience.
1627031

EL: I have a 2005 Acura EL with a manual transmission. My

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Acura EL with a manual transmission. My problem is that as soon as I accelerate and shift through all the gears I hear a whining sound which diminishes as you get up to speed. Once you're at speed it runs quietly there's no sound at all and the car runs perfect. It sounds to me like it only comes from the right side of the car. Any idea what this might be.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. Does the noise change when you switch gears or is it directly related to engine speed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Directly related to vehicle speed. As you shift gears it actually starts Out loud and gets quieter as you increase speed. When you shift gears again it starts all over once more. As you get going faster it gets quieter.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It sounds to me like you either have a hub bearing that is failing or possibly an output bearing in the transmission. I would get the vehicle in the air and run it to see if the noise is out towards the wheel or the transmission. One other thing you may want to do it have the oil in the transmission changed if you have not done so. If the oil is old or dirty then this can occur.