Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L! Advanced Level with over 20 years of experience.
1627031

Subaru Outback: I have a subaru outback with a manual transmission

Customer Question

I have a subaru outback with a manual transmission 45,000 miles - it has just started sticking when shifting out of reverse. I can shift but it takes more force. What should i do and is this a major concern?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. When you say it will stick do you mean it is hard to move the shifter from reverse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It is much more difficult that it used to be.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have seen a few of these transmissions with failing syncros that will cause this. I would start by changing the transmission oil first. If it is broken down then this can cause binding in the transmission. If that does not help then the transmission may need to be torn down. It might also be a binding shift cable but that is not as common.