Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Lincoln Aviator: :I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator, 5r55w

Customer Question

Hello:
I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator, 5r55w tranny (I believe this is the model). The problem is, I had a reman transmission put in the car due to harsh engagements; however, since the install, I now have both delayed (hesitates 2nd to 3rd) and harsh engagement (drive to reverse and 2nd and 3rd). No codes or CEL. The problem has yet to duplicate itself, when I take it to the shop; however, when I pick up my car, it happens. I've taken it to the Lincoln dealer several times, as well as a few transmission shops. Lincoln has kept my car for a week each time, and once someone drive my car home for several days, but no problem. I had a transmission flush done at the Lincoln dealership. No one seems to know what the problem is, although I've provided video of the said problems. The Lincoln dealership has ONLY test drove my vehicle, although I've spent hundreds of dollars chasing this problem. I've had tune up; replaced coil packs, induction service... What could be the problem?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Outside of the said very intermittent problems, the car runs smoothly. I just remembered that on Saturday, when I started my car after being over a friend's house, who happens to be a mechanic (doesn't work on transmissions), the ABS, skid restitance, and AdvanceTrac lights were on. When he hooked up his scanner to it, no codes. I went to Advance Auto, but by the time the guy went to my car, the lights were out, and his scanner continued to say link error. The lights have no come back on since, I do not hear any noise re the tranny; no leaks, no smells. I know that this transmission has know problems. The reman was installed around the 152, 000 mark (guessing) and now I have 154,140 miles, but the problems persisted (harsh engagement) and started (delayed engagement) since the install. I brought this to the transmission shops attention (harsh engagement, which is why I went to them), and I was told that I must give it sometime to break in. The delayed engagement started AFTER the install, say about one month. The shop was originally set to replace the solenoid pack, but I got that call, too much metal shavings in the pan; however, I believe that I was duped into buying something that I didn't need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't edit my question, so I had to add this here: a few of the transmission shops felt very confident that it's my solenoid pack, because of the known problem with this model transmission; however, the Lincoln dealership has only said that my transmission was slipping, but couldn't pin point the solenoid pack, etc. I asked the transmission shops: on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very confident, how confident are they with it being the solenoid pack, and one said 10, while the others said 7-8. I'm open to replacing it, ONLY if that's the problem. When the tranny was replaced last year, I was told that just about everything would be new (reman)... I can't remember if the torque converter was.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I need a little more information on this transmission you installed. You mentioned your up to replacing the solenoid pack and have spent hundreds trying to address this. A Ford remanufactured transmission comes with a 3 year unlimited warranty. What was installed. On this model delayed engagement into drive and reverse are caused by the solenoid body. The prior codes you got are going to take a dealer or equivalent scan tool to access the ABS module and get those codes, regardless if the warning lights are on or not. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Chris:I"m not sure if you misunderstood me, but it was an independent shop that installed the transmission in 2014, who has refuses to help me, because there arent any codes. Whenever Ive taken the car to Ford, naturally, they are unable to duplicate the problem, nor codes or CEL. Again, this has been going on for over a yr, and never has the CEL or codes appeared. The ABS situation happened on Saturday, and according to Ford, since the lights arent on now, they will not be able to pull the codes, as it must be on at the of diagnosis. Maybe I should try another Ford since you are reporting that they should be able to pull the codes. I'm having both the delayed and harsh engagement. Sometimes, the rmp hand jumps between 3 and 4; the speed odometer doesnt move at all or no higher than 20 mph, although the car doesnt move.
You should try a whole bag of new shops. When a warning light comes on, then goes off. It takes 40 starts and drives with no warning light for the module to auto erase the stored code that originally turned the light on. You do not have to have warning lights on for the transmission for there to be an issue. Harsh and delayed shifting is caused by the solenoid body, though add in a speedometer issue and that can be to blame for the transmission shifting issues from a ABS concern.