Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic LS: My transmission won't

Customer Question

My transmission won't shift out of 1
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park. You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use.. If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did all of that and it still doesn't want to shift
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OK then in that case it could be a faulty shift solenoid
ideally the next step will be to get the car plugged into a dealer level diagnostic device to pinpoint what solenoid is at fualt (probably the 'a' soleniod) and then the sump pan will have to come off to access the solenoids and replace the appropiate part and also clena out eh sump filter screen while you're there
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hi
do you still need help?