Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

Transmissions Ford Explorer: . The o/d light is flashing

Customer Question

Hi. The o/d light is flashing in my truck
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
When the overdrive light comes on and flashes the computer should be picking up and setting a fault code and or codes, if you can scan the computer system and retrieve the fault code and or codes I can direct you in the steps to get this resolved. Post back with the scan results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron.
Thanks for the response. I don't remember the code off hand but it's an overdrive band failed/off definition.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way you can get me the actual code so I can send you the correct steps to diagnoise it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get a scanner from an auto store. I have a small one but its unable to read tranny fault codes.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay if you can do this it would be very helpful, post back with it when you can and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thank you.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome and thank you as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I got a p741 code out of it. Also an 1142 and a wheel sensor which I'll replace myself.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The code P0741 is the one likely causing the light to flash. This code can be set due to any of the following,
Torque Converter — Internal transmission problem related to the valve body or torque converter.
Valve Body — Internal transmission problem related to the valve body or torque converter.
In order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing. See the steps below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0741%20Jul%2025.pdf
Ford has also released a service bulletin that calls for programming the PCM which may apply, I have enclosed it in the link below for your review.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/TSB%20P0741%20Jul%2025.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I don't have a labs cope. The tranny was rebuilt so how do I go about reprogramming the pcm
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The PCM will need to be done with a dealer scan tool and if you do not have access to one then the dealer will need to do it for you.