Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30+ years of practical experience in the automotive industry
2947720

I have a '94 ford ranger v-6 4x4 4.0 engine. My transmission

Customer Question

I have a '94 ford ranger v-6 4x4 4.0 engine. My transmission has been slipping when I climb hills or drive up a steep driveway. Should I use an additive to the existing fluid or drain the fluid and start over with the best transmisson oil available. Or
take the truck to a mechanic to see what they would charge me to correct the problem. Thanks for your time and consideration. Pete
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today..If it is slipping on hills there is some wear in the clutch packs and/or servo seals. Adding anything or replacing the fluid will normally make things worse. Any of the coating that is on the servo cylinder walls, when washed away will cause the servo(s) to loose pressure and could possibly not work at all after a flush or fluid change, I have seen that happen more times that I remember.You would be better to have a trans shop assess the damage. The trans shops will be able to repair and/or rebuild it and will normally guarantee it for a certain time/millage.….Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.. Thanks and come again, anytime.. .