Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Chevy Colorado: , I have a 2007 4 cylinder manual transmission

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2007 4 cylinder manual transmission Chevy Colorado that has been giving me trouble for years. I drive a work van and rarely drive my truck until a few months ago my fiancé had to sell her car and drives it now. It would occasionally say reduced power and some times when that came up on the dash, it would be worse than other times. It would either run with "reduced power" and we would have to downshift at every hill among other issues. Occasionally it would say reduced power and run so rough we would have to pull over, I would have to keep giving it gas when pressing the clutch to prevent stalling and unless driving down a steep hill, could not go above third gear, first gear on a steep incline. I cannot currently afford to keep paying mechanics thousands of dollars who never solved the issue the first couple years so I tried to address some issues myself with some advice from a mechanic friend. I replaced the throttle body first and the check engine light went away for a few days along with the reduced power problem. It then came back at least as bad as before. I then replaced the spark plugs (did not replace the coils) and once again the stop engine light finally went away, it felt like it was running better than it has in years, with no reduced power issues. That was a couple days ago and today my fiancé and 5 year old son were going down a massive extremely steep mountain near our home and the truck shut off, lost its power steering and breaks, and my fiancé was lucky enough to pull it into an out of control truck lane at 70 MPH. She is very shaken up and I have run out of ideas, if you have any information I could use, I cannot thank you enough.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  semloh1950 replied 1 year ago.
hi there my name is don i will try to help you on this Have you tried pulling codes ?what codes are coming up ?you mentioned that you changed the throttle body injectors and it cleared out the problem for a few days have you checked the plug in at the ecm to see if its loose or corroded ?lets start there don
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Don,
Yes, I have checked all the plugs I could find and did not notice any loose wires/corrosion. I have just had the opportunity to have the codes pulled and it came up with - HTD Catalyst, SEC AIR System, A/C Ref Monitor, EGR/VVT System Monitor. I am an HVAC Service Tech and have worked on generators so I have a basic understanding of vehicles but do not have much experience working on them. My friend who was a mechanic for a few years mentioned something about the vacuum tubes and MAF sensor, which I recently cleaned with a spray for it. Thank-you for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you recommend looking into next to address the codes I listed?HTD Catalyst, SEC AIR System, A/C Ref Monitor, EGR/VVT System Monitor
Expert:  semloh1950 replied 1 year ago.
hi there sorry for the late delay i was in the hospitalhave you checked the catalytic converter for being pluged up it may be creating to much back pressureyou might have to put in a test pipe to see if your problem clearslet me know don