sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Ram 2500: My 2014 Ram 2500 6.7 shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd

Customer Question

My 2014 Ram 2500 6.7 shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd and barks the right rear tire when it shifts. Sometimes I'll be between 40-55 mph when it happens. Is this a trams problem or a rear end?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! If the transmission is shifting hard the problem is in the transmission If it shifts hard into third gear then the overdrive clutch is applying too hard. This is most likely because the clutch volume index has been driven too high, either from clutch leakage, fluid degradation, losing prime, driving style, or aftermarket equipment. I've seen programmers drive line pressure high enough on these that it will destroy seals. Did the problem happen after a repair?Has the fluid level and condition been checked?How many miles are on the truck?Has anything been done to try to repair it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No repairs have been done.No tuners or after market equipment other than K&N filter, wheels and tires, and a front leveling kit.Mileage is currently 37500
Has the fluid level and condition been checked?Have you checked for fault codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealership checked it and said it was my receiver hitch making the noise and not my tire. It's my tire for sure. It also pulls to the right going down the road. They have said the alignment is good. This is why I have thought that the rear end may have an issue. The only reason I say the transmission is shifting hard is because the tire barks in 3rd gear only. Not sure what to call it or what to have checked.
Has the fluid level and condition been checked?Have you checked for fault codes? Did the dealer not agree that it shifted hard?