sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Dodge 2500 pikup: I have a 2001 Dodge Cummings. The transmission

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge Cummings. The transmission does not shift into over drive. from 0 to 55 it shifts fine. I can get up to 70 but that drives the tach up.
Marty
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are a handful of things that could be preventing it from shifting into fourth.
It could be an accelerator pedal positions sensor issue. It relies on throttle angle for up and downshift timing.
It could be the overdrive clutch solenoid.
IT could be a mechanical failure in the overdrive unit, a failure of the overdrive clutch, or the overdrive clutch piston may be leaking.
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be checking for fault codes. If the overdrive clutch is being commanded on but isn't applying then there should be a fault code set.
If it had slipped leading up to it not engaging at all then piston leakage/clutch failure would be likely.