sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Infiniti G20: . I have a 2000 G20 with intermittent trans

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2000 G20 with intermittent trans shifting issues. At random times it won't shift out of 2nd but turning off the engine it works fine once it restarts. It can be days between the issue and completely without a pattern.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if the trans is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue that can cause damage or thinks it doesn't have complete control it will lock yo in second gear.
Limp in can be caused by may things including solenoids, wiring, speed sensors, the trans controller and internal transmission issues. If the problem is intermittent with no issues in between then it's not likely to be an internal trans issue.
The first step in diagnosis will be to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM. If it's going into limp in it's because the TCM has seen an issue and set a fault code, knowing what codes are setting will be necessary to begin diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light actually went off shortly before the last 2nd gear lock and did not come back on. Aside from hooking up my scanner, is there any other diagnostic steps I can take to get more information?
The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM. You have to know what issue the TCM is seeing before you can start diagnosis of the involved component or system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll see if I can get any codes from the transmission. I had hoped the symptoms would be enough to point me the right direction. I've found references to the throttle position sensor as a possibility elsewhere and I already replaced the speed sensor based on the P0720 code it threw originally. I'm not sure if my scanner can pull transmission codes but will give it a go.
There are dozens if not hundreds of things that will cause limp in so just knowing that the problem is limp in doesn't point to a single possible cause.
The throttle position sensor can cause incorrect shift timing but it can't cause limp in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so busy at work this week I won't be able to get to the scanning until the weekend. Once I have TCM codes, I'll update you.
Thanks
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After further consideration I decided to buy another car and not repair this one. I feel a partial refund for $23 of the $28 paid is in order since we didn't get past my need to pull codes in order for you to be able to help me. Thanks
If you would like a refund of your deposit you can do so from your screen.