Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

GM H2: I have a 2003 Hummer H2. I bought from a guy who said

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Hummer H2. I bought from a guy who said he got it stuck and had to have it towed out. The truck drives great in weather from 80 degree weather. If the weather gets to 95 or above there is a metal clicking/grinding noise that comes after the 1-2 shift is engaged. Also Occasionally the grinding noise will happen after the transmission is up to temp. It will also occasionally happen from the 2-3 shift. REVERSE: Is a similar story, if it is under 95 degrees outside or the transmission is cold the h2 will engage reverse and shudder but move. If the transmissdion is up to temp it takes about 3500 RPM to get the reverse to engage and it will shutter and do the clicking grinding noise. Also it seems underpowered at speed going up hill. That may be a characteristic of the H2. This is my first one so i am not certain of how it should perform up hills. Also Revving the engine in park will produce a clicking grinding noise occasionally.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do still need help. It is urgent, I am not sure what to do
I believe the prior owner abused the transmission trying to get himself out. This resulted in a thrust washer failing. This resulted in your noise from the clutches and gear sets moving excessive laterally and this is also effecting the pressure to the clutches. I see no way around a removal, dis assembly, and overhaul. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris