sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

My van won't shift into high gear

Customer Question

my van won't shift into high gear
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming the trans is stuck in second gear. When the trans controller sees an issue that can cause potential damage or it believes it doesn't have complete control it will shut off the trans relay and lock you in second gear.

There are many possible causes for limp in including speed sensors, solenoids and pressure switches, internal trans issues, wiring, the trans relay and the TCM itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is seeing what fault codes are setting. Do you know what fault codes are setting in the TCM?