Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Carlo SS: my 1985 carlo SS 305 4spd auto...

Customer Question

my 1985 monte carlo SS 305 4spd auto... shifts to abruptly...why is it not smooth? why does it not windup in stead it shifts quickly..
thank you for any help you can provide
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitusually when these transmissions shift this way there is either an issue with the TV cable from the carb to the transmission out of adjustment or there is something wrong under the pan of an accumulator spring or sticking valves in the valve body or a check ball issue or the channel plate under the valve bodythe best action is to adjust the TV shift cable off the carb if it still does this the valve body and check balls and channel plate need to come down and be inspected including the accumulator springs as a lot of those springs can break and cause this issue