gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Passat: Neal, my name is***** have a 2000

Customer Question

Hi Neal, my name is***** have a 2000 vw Passat 1.8t with a few problems. The main one being a leaky transmission. I think it's a seal by where the cv axle bolts up to the tranny but I can't get under to look cuz I'm a big guy and my jack sucks. Is there a common spot on the drivers side?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not familiar with vw's as this is my first car and I took it to autozone for diagnostic eval and it came back with four cyl misfire probably due to vacuum leak. Also running lean. I'm primarily concerned with the tranny leak for now, if it's even that? I'm real frustrated and driving my mom crazy because she wants to help but doesn't know how. 😫
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  tech0405 replied 1 year ago.
We can help you , What color is the fluid leaking ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some days it leaks a lot, other times very little. And it's onl after it's been driven
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cancel tech 0405 chat. Requesting a refund of $28.00 because this tech did not provide any assistance except to ask the color of the fluid leak.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
OK, please bear with me- I am off an on the site during the day so may not be here at all times, and I know you may go hours before checking back- You are going to need to be able to get under the car to examine the transmission more closely- the most common places for it to leak are usually at the pan seal, and most often due to the pan being dented on an object, which kinks the stamped metal pan and keeps it from sealing flat. Transmission fluid can be a number of different colors in a VW, the most common on these is an amber color when fresh, getting darker with age, so it looks similar to oil. So if it is red, it could be that the wrong fluid is in it, or that you have a coolant leak. Check the fluid to make sure it feels "oily".Also note that the 1.8T passat has been a problematic engine- given to having issues with oil sludging up the pan and oil pickup screen, starving the engine for lubrication. And with the amount of external air "plumbing" there are numerous places where an intake leak can occur in the PCV system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the pan is damaged slightly, could I just cake on some grey gasket material and that would do?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
VW is a different animal than you may be used to. The gasket on these is a rubber- ribbed metal gasket. I suppose you could TRY to use some kind of sealant, but you would still have to drop the pan to apply it and put the pan back up. Filling it uses a special fluid and also a gravity-fed filling system that feeds upward through the bottom of the pan, as they do not have any kind of dipstick.Again, I would make sure that what you do have is transmission fluid and not any other kind of fluid, just to make sure.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
If you are talking about gooping sealant on the OUTSIDE of the pan, that isn't going to keep the fluid inside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be a motor mount that is leaking the red fluid then?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely- I totally forgot about that, because most people don't care to replace them even when you let them know they have leaked out. They will still work fine, they have rubber damping, the hydraulic fluid just makes them that much more vibration absorbing. You usually only see traces of the leak, not dripping or anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it leak as much as transmission fluid or as quick? The leak is about softball size after I drive the car.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
No- it will leak out once, and then be done, leaving behind dried pink traces up under the mount bracket. Is it oily?