Marty
Marty, Bosch Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch certified master technician. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Sl500: Hey Marty - Just this morning I started to have a problem

Customer Question

Hey Marty - Just this morning I started to have a problem with the transmission on my 1991 SL500.
Drove it about 20 miles with no problems. About half way home, doing the same 20 miles, the vehicle stopped shifting into 4th gear. As such at 60 I was at about 4000rpm, and backed it off to about 40 to get under 3000.
Normally it runs at about 21-2200 at 65!
Any ideas?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the kickdown switch on the floor under the gas pedal should be checked to be sure it is not stuck down and the kickdown cable to the transmission should be checked to be sure it is free. A stuck kickdown switch under the pedal could certainly cause the problem. A bad governor in the transmission or a plugged screen in the valve body will also cause the transmission not to shift into 4th gear. If the kickdown switch is ok you may need to have the valve body removed and cleaned.
Let me know what you find when you check the switch.
Marty