sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2006 Durango with a v8 Hemi. I have no engine

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Durango with a v8 Hemi. I have no engine light, and had a transmission scanner read no codes. Tran fluid is good. using reg unleaded Here is the scenario, -only when I am towing my travel trailer (about 4500 lbs loaded), -both in tow mode
and out of tow mode -Vehicle has a 9000 lbs tow rating most times now when I am accelerating and reach the 90-105 km and 3000 rpm (always at 3000 rpm) the revs jump to about 4200, (just like it would if I punch he gas to pass - but I didn't), When I take my
foot it immediately drops back to just under 3000 rpm and seems fine If I let it continue at 4200 rpm I don't feel any additional power, but no power loss and I stay around the speed I am at before the jump On occasion (and what used to be normal) is that
the speed and revs continue to climb together steadily until I get to the desire speed (on flat 401 areas ) 110 -120km up to 4500 rpm range. Looking to get back to what used to be normal and understand what could be causing the change in behaviour. Repair
made since I was towing last year was that I had a leak at the manifold fixed (unbolted and re-bolted) and had a brake controller short that blew the fuse that power the controller - replaced it.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if you're feeling a forced downshift which may be normal with the heavy load depending on how it's being driven, but if this never happened before then it shouldn't be normal. It sounds as if you're describing a forced downshift to third gear or second prime. Up and downshifting is dependent on vehicle speed, engine load and throttle angle.
Have you counted to see what gear you're in before it downshifts?
Nothing changed with the trailer, it's weight, the vehicle's weight, driving style, etc?
Have the tires or differential gears on the Durango been replaced?
If you allow it to accelerate on it's own until you get to highway speed it does upshift into fourth, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not counted which gear. Would it help me to get that for you? ... I will just count each rpm drop as a gear correct?
- No changes with the trailer
- tires/diff - Not since I have owned ... bought it used. Same driving style while towing. My wife drives uses it as her daily driver, and I do think she tends to punch it a bit to hard to accelerate. that would be the only driving style change.- I do not recall ever having it eventually upshift when this happens. I think I have had it go 20 sec before I took my foot off to drop RPM.I have no problems when not towing - shifting is fine ... occasionally I get it up to 130 ( only to pass of course :)
When towing and this happens I am accelerating gradually and looking for a minor change to Km/hr ... usually while towing I get up to about 100k / 2500 rpm, while trying go a bit faster and I it get to 3000 rpm it chooses to downshift.1. How concerned about this behaviour change should I be?
2. Any potential watch outs to towing and being in the lower gear ( other than gas cost)
After the downshift and you achieve your desired speed and let back out of the throttle to maintain a steady speed it will sty in the lower gear without upshifting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will pay attention to gears and test this out tomorrow.
I will get it to downshift, let it take me up 10 KM at the higher RPM then back the throttle out to see if it takes the higher gear and lowers the RPMs.1. How concerned about this behaviour change should I be?
It's tough to say at this point how concerned you should be especially without knowing if it does upshift. If it doesn't upshift and intends to allow you to cruise at over 4,000 RPM that's a problem. You don't want to drive it that way.