sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Wrangler: Chris I have 08 jeep wrangler , transmission fuse

Customer Question

Chris I have 08 jeep wrangler , transmission fuse j18 keeps blowing. I see that you helped a previous customer before with this issue, did you find out what the root cause was? I already replaced my TIPM and had my PCM checked to see if it had fried. But I am still having this problem I pulled my wiring harness out for my transmission found a wire that was bare , I believe it was a yellow and green. I put heat shrink around it. Now the fuse dosent blow but my car is still stuck in limp mode.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, a little background on what happened. I took my jeep off-roading .... and lets just say that I drove through a puddle I was not supposed to - Hydrolocked my motor. I got my engine replaced at a local shop, jeep drove perfect for about a week , then all of a sudden as I was driving it down shifted into limp mode. It starts in 2nd and wont shift out of 2nd. When I would disconnect my battery and reconnect it would work fine until I shut my car off. Then after doing that for a while it would start blowing the j18 fuse 20A fuse. I then took it to the dealer and they wanted to charge me 2500 to replace my tipm and pcm to start with. that's when I sent my pcm and tipm to be inspected, my pcm checked okay but for some reason the shop said that the there was something wrong with the TIPM. So I bought a reman TIPM but before I installed it , I went ahead and inspected my wiring harness to the transmission, Right on top of the bell housing there was a wire yellow/ green I believe that the insulation damaged leaving like 3/8 in of bare wiring . I thought that was my problem for sure. I cut/ crimp and used a heat shrink connector and black tape , plugged everything back up and still no luck. Now the transmission dosent blow the fuse no more, but It still stuck in limp mode. The code im getting is p0882 , I don't have the dealer paper work with me right now but I will confirm later.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
P0882 sets when the PCM commands the trans relay on and doesn't receive power back on the circuit for confirmation. The most likely cause for this would be a wiring issue, especially if it happened as a result of having the engine out.
Do you have two power feeds at the trans relay?
Has the relay been swapped with another?
If you jump the relay do you have power on the trans relay output circuit at the PCM?