Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Corolla: I have a 95 corolla 3speed A131L transmission and

Customer Question

Hi I have a 95 corolla 3speed A131L transmission and when i put it into Reverse it wants to roll forward so no reveres also when in neutral engine running it want to again roll forward but if in neutral with engine off it rolls freely back and forward but again engine running in neutral it wants to roll forward.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried starting car in neutral and as soon as it starts it starts pulling forward as if it was in drive and i took my foot off the brake.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other note when vehicle is not running and key in ignition if put in reverse or drive , 2 or L I can push the car forward or backwards no problem as if its in neutral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Disregard last note I just tried the same thing on sons camry and engine off key in ignition you are able to push vehicle either way if in any gear except park.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this doesn't sound like a shifter fault or an issue with the shift cable itself.This sounds like a fault internally mechanically with the transmission itself.This needs to be checked into further to see what component has broke or come apart and failed in the transmission needing repaired.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Pete but you didn't really answer or give me a detailed description of what the problem might be i needed a Toyota tech who specializes in automatic transmissions to give me a fix recommendation. I was hoping that someone could tell me if the problem is in the valve body or not and if it was something like the governor assembly ?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This doesn't sound like a valve body fault as I have seen several valve body faults before.This sounds like a park pawl or engagement mechanism in the transmission that is broken or come apart causing this here.
Some models use shift shafts in the transmission that can break and cause this.The only way to find out for sure is to have it further inspected.
Thanks Pete