Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Moose, I replaced the transmission, but now when I am

Customer Question

Moose, I replaced the transmission, but now when I am pulling a load the truck will down shift its self and seems like its in neutral gear. The rpms will rise when peddle is pushed but no power. The inside temp stays in the middle but the floorboard gets
hot. I will let the truck cool down and it will run and shift fine until it get warm/hot again.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Can I get the year, make, and model?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 1995 Ford F250 diesel 7.3 L
When this occurs is it effecting all gears 1-2-3-4?When this occurs do manual 1st and 2nd work?How heavy is the load, what speed are you trying to maintain, and are you on hilly terrain?Was this a used or remanufactured transmission installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its happens in 3-4
manual 1st and 2nd do work
around 8k 65-70mph not to hilly mostly flat with slight inclines
is was a used transmission
I believe the best course of action is a scan tool reading for the trans fluid temp reading or an actual temp gauge used. The dash gauge if OEM is not very accurate. The trans temps should hover around 20 degrees +/- of coolant temp. If its higher then there is concern with the converter clutch slipping. Is the vehicle equipped with an auxiliary trans cooler or just the one in the radiator. If not, adding one would help.Although the truck can handle 8k fine as well as that speed. Its the wind that is making it hard and keeping the load readings up on the truck which results in the PCM unlocking the converter to often to increase torque resulting in high fluid temp which results in the valves not controlling the pressure correct. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris