Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

C230: My 1997 c230 will not shift out of low gear. I have

Customer Question

My 1997 c230 will not shift out of low gear. I have had the transmission rebuilt by a reputable shop and it still does it. Their analyzer cant find the problem. I replaced the TCM module and it no longer jumps into gear as it did but still will not shift out of first gear. I have been told that it is in limp mode. The car his 180000 miles and is in overall good shape. Any suggestions?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If the transmission valve body was not replaced when it was over hauled the valve body can cause this type of fault here and would need replaced.I have seen the valve body cause issues like this here.If this was replaced already let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was replaced. The only thing i have not tried was replacing the wheel speed sensors. I have heard that can cause this type of problem.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
That was going to be my next suggestion.If you have one or more wheel speed sensors sending a false/incorrect speed signal the affected sensor will need replaced to correct this here.I would have the sensor signals checked with a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can read the sensor signals to see if one is faulty needing replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The wheel speed sensor reading does not tell which one is bad. I am going to replace all 4 of them. I have over $6000 invested in the car. It is worth a gamble.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know how this turns out and if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Once I find the wheel speed sensors and have them installed I will let you know if it worked.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know how this turns out here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you can tell me where to get the sensors it would help.