Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Saturn: My stick shift will not go into any gears...it is very

Customer Question

My stick shift will not go into any gears...it is very loose... feels like it is dislocated. The car got stuck in third gear. It is a Saturn 2003.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hellothe first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air outI favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up anddown a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.If this doesn't help then next check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watchingthe linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.If its a cable type linkage check along the cable lengths for any damage or signs of heavy wear /fretting, if you find any replace the cable. There may be some adjustment onthe cable tension at the gearbox end (depending on the year) and the cableshould be tensioned so there is a minimum of slack but not so its taughtThen check gearbox oil levels and if its not been changed in the last 20K milesthen drain it off and fill with fresh. I can strongly recommend the use ofCastrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known it help with shiftissues on many manual gearboxes If you still haveissues with the hydraulics and its good after bleeding but then gets worseafter a few days / hours, then I'd try leaving the clutch pedal held downovernight by bracing the pedal against the seat base with a piece of wood orsimilar, this is to try and force the seals inside the slave to take a set inthe right orientation as over time they can shrink and draw air back in whenyou take your foot off the pedal. This shrinkageisn't enough to leak any fluid but the gap is big enough to draw air in (gasbeing harder to seal than fluid) if this doesn't work I'm sorry to say that theslave cylinder is going to need changing. also if the fluidis dark in colour this is a sign the seals are breaking up