sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Had my 2003 acura MDX transmission rebuilt last year and have

Customer Question

Had my 2003 acura MDX transmission rebuilt last year and have a 3 year warranty. Now the car will not go in reverse and repair shop said it was probably transmission valve body. Is this something that should have been included in the transmission rebuild. If not what would be a competitive price for the repair. Car has about 180,000 miles on it.
Thanks.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If your original trans was rebuilt then the valve body wouldn't have been replaced unless there was damage found when it was removed. A rebuild consists of replacing clutches and seals, cleaning and inspecting all components, measuring clutch clearances and making adjustments as needed. Other parts such as the valve body, geartrain, case, pump, etc are reused unless they are damaged. It's rare to replace a valve body on an overhaul.
A replacement valve body runs just under $500 and the labor to replace it calls for 1.5 hours. A loss of reverse could definitely be the valve body but it's more likely to be a clutch or geartrain failure. I would have the problem diagnosed and have a guarantee that will fix it before committing to it if the rest of the trans is under warranty.