Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have a 1994 chevy lumina apv van, 3.1 2wfwd. While traveling

Customer Question

I have a 1994 chevy lumina apv van, 3.1 2wfwd. While traveling at 15mph then car seized up, slid a few feet. Car will not move at all in d r or neutral. Jacked up rear end, wheel turn, jacked up front end wheel turn. van has 140,000 miles.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this sounds like an internal mechanical fault in the transmission itself.I have seen internal mechanical gear failure that can cause a lock up like this with the engine running.The transmission will need inspected further to locate and repair the fault which may involve removing the transmission for further inspection internally.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete I am fair back yard mechanic. Is this a rr job I can do at home with Jacks and cursing. If u think so do you have detailed instructions on how to. Google seemed kinda dry on the specifics. When I go transmission shopping what years makes models had this tranny and what do I look for in a good used one. Thank you. Mark
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This is something you will need an engine support for to hold up the engine while the transmission and the sub frame are removed at the same time.This can be a difficult procedure without a hoist.
If you contact a dealers parts department they can usually tell you exactly which makes and models this transmission fits so you can look for various models to locate the transmission you need.Unfortunately my data doesn't show this but there should be a few different years and models.
One place I have ordered used parts including transmissions from is www.car-part.com
Thanks Pete