Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

Caliber 4 cyl, cvt wagon: 2008 caliber, cvt overheart light

Customer Question

2008 caliber, cvt overheart light comes on and car slows down. before light comes on transmission start making a whinning noise and car begins to slow like no fuel to excellerate. Happens in Mountian region, ie. Phoenix to Flagstaff. After pulling over and allowing car to cool all works as normal. Trans. fluid is full and radiator is full. No leaks visible under car. This has happened several times. My opinion is in-efficient cooling thru the radiator and in sufficient fluid volume for the generated heat. My thought on fix is to add a transmission cooling kit from radiator transmission out port back to transmission in port. This would also add approximately a quart more of fluid volume adding to the cooling process.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are describing is a known concern on your CVT and according to the factory repair manual adding a transmission cooler will resolve the problem. See the quote right out of there repair Manual (Extended transmission operation above 115° C (240° F) will reduce the durability of the transmission and should be avoided. Correcting the cooling system operation or installing an additional transmission oil cooler will improve transmission durability, especially under extreme conditions such as city/construction stop and go traffic, trailer towing, aggressive driving in low gear, or operation in mountainous areas.) . You would think they would do this for you but unfortunately its not covered but adding a cooler should resolve the problem providing the engine cooling system is not overheating and you are not loosing any coolant.