Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Transmissions GMC Jimmy 2WD: If your torque converter was installed

Customer Question

If your torque converter was installed without any fluid in it. would it burn out eventually and cause it to no longer move you foward when put in drive? For instance I purchased a used 1978 2WD GMC Jimmy. I had to put transmission fluid in order to get it home. While doing so it acted as it should. However the next day I wanted to go some where started it up,warmed it, then put it in gear and nothing happened. Forward or reverse. I'm hoping to put another converter in it with 2 to 3 quarts of fuid in it.and it will solve the problem. I will eventually put a manual valve body it and have fun with it on the street. Please let me know so I know what path to take.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response. When the torque converter is installed, fluid should be added to the converter itself before installing it in the vehicle and then after the transmission is installed the transmission should be filled to the proper level.To answer your question, yes if fluid was not added to the converter this will cause heat to occur and damage the converter, based on the symptoms, I believe you are on the right track and replacing the converter should solve this issue.