EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Auto Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership experience. ASE Advanced level certified, transmission certified
34559540

1. how hard is it to replace a 1998 ford ranger 3.0L 4x4

Customer Question

1. how hard is it to replace a 1998 ford ranger 3.0L 4x4 Transmission ? 2. about how much does it cost to get a rebuilt Trans? shop to rebuild $3100 them doing all the work 3. do you have any suggestion's on who to get it from? 4. oil pan gasket, how hard
is this to replace? they want $895 at the shop to change it
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. To replace the transmission the labor times is 6 hours. It does probably take a good 4.5-5 hours to replace. Especially if some stuff is rusty. 3100 is a fair price with purchasing and labor. A unit is probably 2200 dollars. I get reman engines and trans from LKQ. Very quality parts.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
900 for the oil pan is a lot. if the transmission is already out. The book time for oil pan is 6 hours as well. And the trans needs to be removed. So if the trans is already removed I would think 3 hours of extra labor to the trans replacement would be fair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have not heard from you
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I responded 23 minutes from your original post:
To replace the transmission the labor times is 6 hours. It does probably take a good 4.5-5 hours to replace. Especially if some stuff is rusty. 3100 is a fair price with purchasing and labor. A unit is probably 2200 dollars.
I get reman engines and trans from LKQ. Very quality parts.
Thank you and please rate the service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an intermittent problem
The truck going at a constant med speed under load up an incline, small hill jerks
I took it to a shop to check it out they said it was the Transmission
fuel and spark looked good
tranny fluid is original 133,000 miles on it
Does it sound like a tranny problem or something else? in your guestamation ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. In my opinion it sounds more like an ignition skip. Usually an ignition coil. Sometimes they crack on the bottom. If you take it off and flip it over and look you may see a crack. Also the 3.0 is known for having injectors cause a skip. If your shop can isolate the cylinder missing, they should be able to rule out the plug, wire, coil or injector. THanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Don't drive this truck much My wife drives it.
I was the first one to notice the problem then she said she noticed it too.so it is real intermittent and will not be easy to find
the trans fluid is old and off color darker 133.000 miles
I was thinking about changing the filter and fluid
I could replace the plugs and wires and coil
it has been a good little truck we have not done much too
except put gas in it and change the tires and brakes pads, shocks, alternator and oil and filter and changed the antifreeze when I had a leak in a metal T to the heater that rusted or cracked .
any thing else I should replace just because it is getting older
any suspension items
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I agree it is not a bad idea to service the trans at this point. If it has not been tuned up in a while, it is due.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Do you need any workshop manual information? Are you planning on doing this yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
call me