Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Experience:  ASE Master,(L-1) Certified, Transmission Specialist
10114124

Ram 2500: My truck shudders under load going uphill while towing

Customer Question

My truck shudders under load going uphill while towing my 25 ft Airstream trailer.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.What kind of engine is in your vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.9 24 valve turbo diesel
Does it smoke or anything when its shuddering?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...engine temp goes to around 240 then drops after descending summit.
Torque converter leaks down after a period (3 or 4 weeks) and after idling in neutral for 1 minute truck will move again.
truck only shudders pulling the trailer on a fairly steep grade.
This looks like a transmission issue to me. Im gonna recategorize this to transmissions. Hang tight and a transmission expert should join the conversation and help you out.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
No problem. I requested the move.. it shouldnt be too long. Please dont reply until a transmission expert does or it will lock the question back to me and they wont see it. THanks
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Do you need help with this?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Do you need help with this?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Apparently my problem is the transmission.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
HI, I'm a transmission tech here at the dealership and if it's only shuddering when it goes into lockup I would suspect a slipping converter which will cause the fluid to get hot. How does the fluid look? Is it burnt or red? Normal driving do you feel the converter slipping when you goose it? Brad
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I'm a transmission tech here at the dealership and if it's only shuddering when it goes into lockup I would suspect a slipping converter which will cause the fluid to get hot. How does the fluid look? Is it burnt or red?
Normal driving do you feel the converter slipping when you goose it?
Brad
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had the fluid changed before my trip over the mountains.
The truck doesn't shudder unless I'm pulling the trailer up a pretty good grade. The engine temp at that time increases to around 240 then drops when I level out.
The truck seems to operate normally without a load. Kinda felt a Cummins diesel should pull a 25ft Airstream okay.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Thanks for the reply..
Well the Cummins engine will pull it and much heavier with no issues, but the problem is the 47RE transmission that is slipping. How did the fluid look when you changed it, and how does it look now after the trip? I noticed you said after you drop it into gear it's a few seconds before it engages and if this only happens after it's been sitting a while then I would suspect a bad check valve which is the small line at the radiator with the check valve built in will need to be replaced. Over time the ball will get stuck open and thus all the fluid on the converter will drain out when it's sitting and once you drive it it's fine the rest of the day until it sits for a period of time...
But the shudder when pulling would be a converter that's slipping and you can either get another OEM converter or go with a billet converter single/dual/ or triple clutch which would give you a substancial amount of more load capacity. Even the single would be a vast improvement over OEM. And nothing else needs to be changed to use a Billet converter but I would advise to replace the front pump seal while your in there..
I hope this helps and if you need anymore assistance feel free to reply..
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Brad!
I will have a billet converter installed. The fluid, by the way, was a little discolored upon inspection after I got back home with approximately 500 miles on the "new stuff".
Thank you once again. This may help to get my wife's teeth outta my butt!
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome..
And thank you for the positive rating..
Have a good one,
Brad