Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

Mitsubishi Montero: guys. You have helped me before with

Customer Question

Hi guys. You have helped me before with the 4x4 issues on my 2002 Montero Limited, I have another transmission question.Truck has 106k miles. I had the transmission rebuilt and on return was getting a hard 2-3 shift. Not at all throttle settings and loads (hills). It will hesitate and then hard engage. Once in a while it will just hesitate and then slide slowly into 3rd. I have a one year warranty and returned the vehicle. They went over it again, checked their work and especially the shift solenoids, all good.In my manual most trouble shooting says to 'replace pcm' I guess this is the powertrain control module. Could that be the problem? Can it be diagnosed or perhaps reflashed? Is it in the passenger kick panel?Lots of questions but hope you can help.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

First things first you need to do a complete diagnostic scan of the ECM and TCM then from these codes we will know what to check and diagnose .

The problem you have could be engine related .

See what codes you have and then get back ..

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do understand the need to run codes. Mitsubishi dealer ran a code check before I returned the car to the transmission builder. Code check pertained to the #2 shift solenoid.
I then returned the car to the transmission builder who checked the solenoids, among other things, and found no fault.
I am just wondering if the operation of the PCM or the software in the PCM could be causing my issue.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim.

Thank you for getting back and clearing that up .

Do you know what the code was.

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Code 33
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi i will have to opt out and put you onto our top Mitsubishi tech .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I was told I would be handed off to another tech as Greg did not know the answer. I was charged $16.00
Not happy with this situation especially since I am a returning customer.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
,Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youi would think from the code 33,you need to check the electrical wire harness to the transmission..though it is showing the 33 code,the problem still may not be electrical,it may be mechanical,a fault with the rebuild..i will give you some tests/checks for your 33 codePLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/jllkwx04c1i4haj/0630-mitsabitsi-Code%20No.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/jllkwx04c1i4haj/0630-mitsabitsi-Code%20No.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help