Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Auto Mechanic
Experience:  35+ years experience transmission repair
2617050

Chevrolet C1500 4x2: Have 1997 chevy 1500 2wd 5.7 that stumbles

Customer Question

Have 1997 chevy 1500 2wd 5.7 that stumbles at the top of small rise of hill.
Please direct me to a fix.
Thanks
***** ***** (###) ###-####***@******.***
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Hello John,
My name is ***** ***** i will try to help you with this but i need to clarify some things because while it is common, there are more than just one thing that can cause this to happen so we need to try and narrow it down.
Does it run ok at ALL other times and only happen when entering the crest of a hill?
Please give me as much details as you can.
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the engine starts and runs well. Good response. It does have over 200,000 miles on the engine and uses a little oil. It never stumbles when increasing the speed, normally at the top of a small rise, in or out of cruise. Seldom when you take your foot of the gas pedal.
This appears to be a common problem with many web site regarding 97 5.7 stumbling.
Hope this helps.
john
Thanks John,
Yes it is common and a professional cleaning of the fuel injectors usually takes care of this. What we do is we disable the fuel pump and run the engine off a can of pure injection cleaner and it does a remarkable job of cleaning them. Much better than any additive could ever possibly do. This should be done every 60K miles anyway for regular maintenance so if it has never been done, now is the time.
The only other common thing is the overdrive tends to kick in and out under these conditions and makes it feel like a stumble.
Hi John,
Just checking to see if you have any further questions?
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Larry