Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Borg Warner ?: I have a 1959 Jaguar XK 150 with a Borg Warner

Customer Question

I have a 1959 Jaguar XK 150 with a Borg Warner Auto. It operates well under normal flat road driving but has a problem going up hills. It' almost as if it is in two ranges fighting each other. Is there a fix without removing the transmission ?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hellothese are a pretty simple transmisson I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level withthe gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park. You can top up thebox through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oilf or your car as the fluids are not all the same. If this is OK thencheck the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts andor missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body orjust bind up Then - you shouldtop up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok -then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside-- refill and retry it..
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?