ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

Dodge grand caravan: i have a 2002 dodge grand caravan with

Customer Question

i have a 2002 dodge grand caravan with the 3.3l with problems with the transmission. 216,000 miles. I get codes: p0700, p0720, p0733, p0734. Thinking it may be the outlet speed sensor. Hoping it's not just dead. What do you think?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
P0700 is just an information code to let the tech know that there are transmission specific fault codes stored in the tcm
P0720 - OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR ERROR
P0733 - GEAR RATIO ERROR IN 3RD
P0734 - GEAR RATIO ERROR IN 4TH
Normally P0733 and P0734 would indicate internal transmission failure of some sort, usually worn bands and clutches, but when the P0720 is set for the output speed sensor, this can cause the 2 incorrect gear ratio codes as the output speed sensor does affect shifting parameters and trip those other 2 codes.
So the first step is the output speed sensor. You need to check the wiring harness for any cuts, breaks, chafing and repair as needed. If ok, replace the output speed sensor and erase codes.
Test drive and if no codes return, you are good to go, but if the incorrect gear ratio codes return, then there was a separate issue that will need to be addressed.
90-95% of the time, repairing the P0720 code resolves the other codes as well
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks